Friday, October 15, 2010

WMRT- Press Conference, More events and double the prize money



With the recent announcement that catamaran would be used for the America Cups.
WMRT took their opportunities well, announcing that 6 Tour Event would be added and the prize money pool would be doubled from 250k USD to 500k USD.

The Match Racing events has always been deemed as a feeder events to the America Cups, This I believe has always been the main attraction of it, although the America Cups is using Catamaran now, still..its always still going to be a feeder events, or at least one of the feeder events for America Cups.

But with continuous promotion effort from the WMRT, the increased of prize money and tour events all over the globe, I believe they are moving away as just being a feeder event.

I personally feel that WMRT will do well, all because it offers accessibility which allows more participation from fellow sailors and that will generate the feeling of affiliation to it. And people going to follow it, because someone you know are involve in it, I believe they are 18 qualifying events, correct me if I am wrong, with at least 1 qualification event for each Tour events.

Now that Match Racing for Men is already in Asian Games, I can only see more Tour Events being held in Asia. And I am waiting for that to happen.

Sean Ong

No comments:

Post a Comment